Google Summer of Code Proposals
Proposal 4: Translation suggestion tool like in Facebook
IDEA & BENEFITS:
The idea is to create a translation suggestion tool for making better translations for Joomla! It will help non-English speaking translation teams to get feedback about translation quality from people, who speak the same language. So translation teams can involve more volunteers in translation process.
I am Edvard Ananyan aka edo888, a citizen of Armenia. I am 20 years old, and I have been granted a full scholarship to be an undergraduate student at Yerevan State University majoring in Applied Mathematics and Physics (Department of Physics).
Being highly interested in computer science, I have also accomplished a number of open source projects. Some of them are listed below:
- GTranslate: an automatic translation module based on Google Translate
- Jumi: Joomla! custom content extension package (in partnership with Martin Hajek)
- Jumi Tips & Tricks
- JosLang: Multilingual system plugin (in partnership with David Thomas)
- Xinha WYSIWYG editor plug-in
As you may know I'm also a Joomla! Bug Squad member.
You can read more about myself on my website: http://edo.webmaster.am/about
Here is also an online reference: http://tinyurl.com/edo888 -> http://jumi.vedeme.cz/index.php?option=com_contact&view=contact&id=2:ed&catid=12:contacts&Itemid=49
MILESTONES & DEVELOPMENT PROCESS TIMELINE:
There is a tool, which is doing translations for Joomla!: Translation Manager, I guess it is open-source and one of the developers is Andrew Eddie, so I guess I will not have any problems with license. So I can use some features of it. I will create a component, which will handle user sugestions from the Joomla! front page. People will rate or add their own suggestions.
- Tool for finding all translation strings in en-GB (by default) and adding them into mysql table.
- Interface to display all translation strings with their suggestions in frontend.
- Interface for adding new suggestions for current string in community language.
- Tool for voting for suggested translations.
- Admin tool for selecting high rated translation and creating translation pack.
- Ability for admins to add extension ini files for being translated with this tool.
I'm going to work 8 hours a day, 5 days a week; it's a full time job.
April 20 - May 17: TIME TO SPEAK WITH THE MENTOR
Week 1 May 18 - 22: (1)
Week 2 May 25 - 29: (2)
Week 3 June 1 - 5: (3)
Week 4 June 8 - 12: (4)
Week 5 June 15 - 19: (4)
Week 6 June 22 - 26: (5)
Week 7 June 29 - July 3: PREPARE FOR THE MID-TERM EVALUATION
Week 8 July 6 - 10: SUBMITTING THE MID-TERM EVALUATION
Week 9 July 13 - 17: (6)
Week 10 July 20 - 24: RESERVED TIME
Week 11 July 27 - 31: RESERVED TIME
Week 12 August 3 - 7: PREPARING FOR THE FINAL EVALUATION, PUTTING EVERYTHING IN THEIR PLACES
Week 13 August 10 - 14: PENCILS DOWN, SUMMARISING RESULTS, WRITING DOCUMENTATION
Week 14 August 17 - 21: SUBMITTING THE FINAL EVALUATION
August 22 - 25: TIME FOR LAST MINUTE DECISIONS
- Bringing new functionality to Joomla!
- Making a big step towards a professional career
- Being involved in serious project development for getting more experienced
- Meeting interesting people, learning from them and SIMPLY HAVING FUN!
- Increasing chances to get full scholarship for masters degree in the US
- Earning some money for my further education
- Making a dreams come true
I'm looking forward to continue contributing to Joomla! in the future and organizing Joomla! Armenian community.